Thursday, May 20, 2010

Those Common Interviewing Questions and How To Respond

After many years in HR I found that most managers don’t like to interview. We scheduled classes and those who bothered to show up didn’t jump in and want to participate. They were there to hear about the law and make sure they weren’t asking anything that could get them or the company into trouble. I personally think that since many managers are promoted based upon their subject matter expertise, the majority just don’t like to do it.
No matter how hard we stress behavioral interviewing; those questions that focus on how an applicant actually did something, most interviewing managers will return to the more familiar questions such as:
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. What are your strengths?
3. What are your weaknesses?
4. Why do you want to work here?

Why these questions? Because they are familiar, comfortable and don’t take a lot of effort. How can you use them to your benefit?

Tell me about yourself is a general introductory statement and a good place to insert your elevator speech. Depending on a number of reasons including your age, or if you just graduated your responses will vary. An example can be, “I am thrilled to be with you today to talk about the Editing Manager position. I have over 10 years of experience writing and editing communications in the global pharmaceutical industry at company name(s) and my work has been featured twice in the New York Medical Journal. I look forward to sharing that with you today.”
Make sure to include how your experience relates to the opening wording in the job description.
Tip – Align your wording to their business needs.

What are your strengths? Relate your strengths to the open position. If the first few descriptors in the job posting state¸ “Respond to requests for information and communicate with other departments with minimal supervision” and “Work independently with minimal supervision", how would you respond? You could explain your ability to proactively respond to requests for information from department members and customers without any disruption in the workflow. Another response that relates to the position is to mention how you have been recognized by your manager for your ability to work under pressure and without direct supervision.
NOTE: Only state the truth. Review the job description and create real examples of how your accomplishments align to these.

What are your weaknesses? Relate this to a job related weaknesses only. After stating the weakness, immediately explain the steps you took to correct it. If, for example your weakness is disorganization, you might say the following. “After attending a time management class I realized that my disorganization stemmed from poor prioritization. I now prioritize my workload every morning and have learned to stay focused on the goals of the task, especially when solving complex problems.”

Why do you want to work here? If you thoroughly do your homework about a company and learn about their products, services, customer base and work environment, you are prepared to answer this question. (Your LinkedIn research can help you here.) Be prepared to talk about one or two of those items found in your research. Is it their renowned customer service, the way they give back to the community, their cutting edge research and development? You might want to state something you recently read in a news article to support this.

Additional interviewing information can found in Job Search for Moms. I look forward to hearing from you. What types of questions have you come across?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had been out of work for probably 6 months, not really very long in this market. I was shocked when one interviewer asked "What have you been doing with yourself?" His tone was as if he couldn't understand why or how someone would be out of work. I guess he hadn't listened to or read the news. I was floored by his tone. I said I had been looking for a position.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thanks for posting a comment and good luck with your job search. That's a good response and you can also add that you've been networking, keeping up with your skills by volunteering, developing new skills through training/volunteering.
It's unnerving that an interviewer can ask a question like that. Not that it should happen again but at least you'll be prepared for it. Again, good luck with the search.

Anonymous said...

You covered this very well. A good strategy for interviewees who get these basic questions. if they can master these, they should shine in the interview and get to round two with the hiring managers.

I've shared tips and techniques for handling the inexperienced, experienced, and tough interviewer. Communicating your strengths and weaknesses is a very good start. Sharing stories (mini) that highlight your job-related skills and relevant accomplishments helps to make you more credible. Actually the those tough interviewers just want to know who you really are and if that matches with who you say you are.

What are your thoughts on tough or behavioral questions?

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Behavioral questions are my favorite. In my classes we use the common term, STAR - Specific, task-related, actions and results. If you prepare by reviewing the job posting and are ready with a behavioral story to go with each or many of the responsibilities described in the posting, you'll do OK. Behavioral questions are designed to show what you actually did do; not what you would do. The key is to review the skills and competencies in the listing and come up with real examples of your accomplishments in these areas. I plan to write more about this in a blog in a few days with some examples.

Anonymous said...

I have an interview this Tuesday morning. I have had several (actually a few) interviews over the past year and have only been asked once to come back for a second interview. I need help!

Should I ask questions of the interview panel? And if so, what? I really want to ask: Why do you need to hire a new person? What are your interests? What is holding you back or hindering your progress as an Institute? What are your current strategic plans?

I feel if I could get these answers, I could present my skill set in a favorable light.

What is your advice? Is this a good strategy? I really want to find out what they are looking for. I find it difficult to read between the lines in a job description.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Good luck on your interview this week! Yes - you should certainly ask questions of the interviewer or panel. Your questions are good but you might want to refine them just a bit. For example, "what are your interests?" This is a bit too bland - you could say something like, "What characteristics or traits are you looking for in a candidate?" You already know what the required skill sets are.
Here are a few more questions that I pulled right from my book:
1. What is the vision of the department?
2. What are the short and long term goals of the department?
3. What concerns need to be addressed? immediately?
4. What are the challenges person coming to this job may face?
5. What do you see happening within this postion in the next 3 to 6 months?
Make sure you also ask them about the next steps in the interview process and wherre they are in thhe process. Again, good luck to you.
Nancy

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...