Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Unemployment Numbers for the Young Adult

Like anyone, the unemployment numbers worry me. I realize the financial complications that high numbers bring but I look at them as a job search instructor, coach and resume writer. I look at them with an eye towards the growing number of unemployed and underemployed citizens. No matter how great a resume or how prepared for the interviews, if there are no jobs, well, it just won’t matter.

Yesterday we took our son back to college to begin his sophomore year. This summer he heard me talk about the rising unemployment numbers for young people. We also spoke of about the college majors that don't have a very high rate of employment (psychology and communication). Today I wanted to take a look at the hard numbers for young adults. Here they are.

On August 21, 2012, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that from April to July 2012, the number of employed youth 16 to 24 years old rose 2.1 million to 19.5 million. This age represents teens through young adults in high school, college and the recent graduates.

The number of unemployed youth in July 2012 was 4.0 million, little changed from 4.1 million a year ago. While the national unemployment rate for July, 2012 was 8.3%, the youth unemployment rate was 17.1%. In July, 2012, the breakdown for youth was:
• The unemployment rate for men was 17.9 percent
• The unemployment rate for women was 16.2 percent
• The jobless rate for whites was 14.9 percent
• The jobless rates for blacks was 28.6%
• The jobless rate for Asians was 14.4%
• The jobless rate for Hispanics was 18.5%
• The national unemployment rate is 8.3%

As a mother I worry about my son finding work when he is finished with college in three more years. As a citizen I worry about people feeling as if they just need to find a job to pay the bills. I worry that the excitement of designing a career path may be a thing of the future. Does it worry you, too?

3 comments:

adult psychology said...

Psychology Academy provide services to older adults in a variety of settings, including health care facilities, community-based private or group practices

adult psychology

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I just posted this on Google+ with an article I had posted on my Linkedin and Facebook pages this morning. Here is what it said:

When one recently opined that the economy has "turned around" for college grads, (Friday on NPR) perhaps he should've interviewed folks like the ones cited in this article, and they are merely a viable subset of the population in question. This is a compelling article about the new form of debt and the challenges for college graduates.

The graphic says it all.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-09-06/student-loans-debt-for-life?cmpid=linkedin

Nancy Range Anderson said...

John - thanks so much! I will check it out. I am so disappointed with the numbers for young adults - I do hope that the presidential candidates mention it.
Nancy

Salary Negotiation Tips

  A retired teacher friend of mine is thinking about returning to the workforce but as an educational consultant. The company is flying her ...