Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Using a Professional Resume Writer

As I have written in the past, I give Job Search Workshops. Topics include resume writing, interviewing skills, networking and job search tips for the older worker. I love giving these classes but it always amazes me that so many people are simply not prepared to start the job search. I guess that’s why they are attending the training. After every training session though, I have folks come up and ask me to review their resumes. I’d love to and I do but it can’t be done in the few short minutes before the location closes for the day or night. It’s pretty overwhelming to be handed banking, accounting, food service, teaching, management, landscaping, interior design or any other type of resume and asked if it’s any good. I just can’t answer that question in 30 seconds or less.

It is for this reason that I have added “Professional Resume Preparation” to my own resume/company description. Not only do I like to write the resumes but I find it so interesting and energizing to research various occupations and then interview the client for their hidden job talents, competencies and transferable job skills. Once the resume is prepared, my client’s can’t believe the skills they possess from their former or existing jobs and they are dumbfounded when they see their transferable job skills. I certainly don’t make these things up – I can’t. Once we start probing and get it on paper though, the client realizes that they are a very valuable commodity (I love this part of my job!)

If you are thinking about having a professional create your resume, start preparing. If you don’t have an existing resume, create something. Give them something to work with or else you may be charged for the extra leg work on the part of the resume writer. Here are some things to include in your preparation:

1. The position you are seeking (your career interest)
2. Your skills, knowledge and behaviors (see Job Competencies Blog article)
3. Your positions for the past 10 – 15 years. Include the full names and addresses of the companies. Include the dates (months and years) that you worked there.
4. Your transferable job skills (see Transferable Job Skills Blog article). Some of these activities can also be used in a community service category in your resume.
5. Your name, address, phone numbers and email addresses.
6. If you are a student or recent college graduate, list your course work, any special projects or task forces you were on in college and your summer jobs. (Those summer jobs and special projects may contain valuable transferable job skills.)

Good luck. It is difficult to put a resume together and sometimes a little push from a complete stranger will help you get it done.

2 comments:

Padmanaban said...

Network! It's the most effective way to get a job or change careers. Tell everyone you know you're looking for a new job or career and ask for advice, job openings and referrals

Nancy Range Anderson said...

You bet - I give a class in Networking. it's what we all HAVE to do. Thanks for your comments.
Nancy

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...