Thursday, November 12, 2009

Networking and the Older Worker

The government has a definition for people who have given up on the job search. They call it the "discouraged" worker. Basically, these folks have given up, don't appear to be looking and have dropped off the unemployment radar. Many of the discouraged are the older job seekers, those in their fifties and sixties. These people cite a number of reasons for giving up; lack of training or education, intimidation, competition with younger people, younger interviewer’s who don't or won't give them the time of day, too tired, etc. I won't deny that there is discrimination out there - age or otherwise. What I do have a problem with is that many of the discouraged employee's send blast resumes out and then sit back waiting for the phone to ring.

It appears that a lot people sit and wait. They are not involved with any other stimulating activities during the day or evening that can help them in their search. Networking is a term that they have heard of but don’t understand the value of. When told of the low percentage rate of jobs found on the internet, they nod. When told that the statistics show that between 60% to 90 % of jobs are found through networking they get it.

Still, many people, especially women just don’t do it.
I think it is a Baby Boomer-related thing. This generation wasn’t brought up to talk about themselves and it is every uncomfortable for them to relate that they are out of a job to anyone but maybe close friends or family. But they should. The same way that they blast out their resumes, they should blast out their unemployment status.

WHO: Friends, family, past business associates, neighbors, hair dresser, barber, doctor, pizza guy, banker. The list goes on.

HOW: Tell them that you are looking for work. It can go something like this. “I was recently displaced from my job and I am looking for work as an administrator. If you hear of anything or know of someone who is looking for an administrator, please let me know.” If you are speaking with a professional organization, your approach should be more structured and with more detail.

WHERE: Birthday, anniversary, holiday, retirement, wedding parties and other types of parties. Professional groups, support groups, church or other religious group meetings, Garden Club, Women’s Club, Rotary Club, Chamber meetings, choir practice, art class, Pilates class, etc.

It is hard to get motivated after being discouraged. It helps to get out of the house and talk with other people and do something and there are many volunteer groups that will welcome new members. The United Way has lists of groups that need help. Local hospitals need volunteers and there are usually lists of groups recruiting for volunteers in the newspaper. The unemployed should find an interest, volunteer and just get out there. Not only will they develop some extra skills, they will also socialize, expand their network and maybe land a new job. It can't hurt.

5 comments:

Selly Nat said...

Greetings Nancy Range
I am 53 years old and I am looking for a job as a Recruiting Mentor/Trainer in the USA.
I am from India and I do have 6 years of experience in the USA as a technical recruiter.
Can you guide me of where to approach or to look at for job vacancies for those who are 50+?
Your reply would be highly appreciated.
You can reply me at selvnata@yahoo.com

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Selly,
You should look on the ASTD site (American Society of Training and Development) for ideas. Also LinkedIn if you are not there already.
It is very difficult to find positions over here with the unemployment rate at 10.2 % nationally. It is much higher in various cities. Good luck.

Dave said...

Nancy,

There's some truth in your comments. As a mid-50's former executive, I can confess to "temporarily" giving up from time to time. Yet, I don't think I have ever given up completely.

I'd like to address a couple of your points.

First, many of us who are now needing to network have NEVER done so before. That doesn't mean that we have an excuse not to network, but it speaks to the point that we may not be particularly good at it. In fact, as I developed countless relationships over the years with professionals, I never saw those relationships as a "means to an end." The idea of now going back and getting personal benefit from relations that were established on behalf of my company is difficult. Again, I understand that younger generations may view this differently, but many of us who grew up in corporate America are not skilled with this. Not an excuse - just an observation. As a corporate executive, I never had time (or the appetite) for networking outside my company. I spent all my energies and attention on building relationships with my collegues. I see now that this was a mistake.

One other quick response. For many of us that were corporate executives over the past three decades, it APPALLS us to see the way business is now being run. As a HR Executive, I am literally embarrassed to see the cold and insensitive methods being used by companies to "source talent." I am reminded that a renown corporate leader once wrote that when a man or woman applies to your company, they must be treated with the utmost of dignity - whether they are hired or not. They have made an incredible compliment to your company in that they would consider giving of their time and strength to help you build your organization. So, the way their resume is received, the way they are interviewed, the time it takes to make a decision - these are all reflective of the dignity that these candidates are shown. My view is that few companies are showing this today. We've allowed talent acquisition to become as sterile a process as selecting a contractor for a room addition. Of course, much of this is simply a pendulum swing. The same companies who are now treating prospective candidates as "nuisances" will be creating glossy brochures telling us how much they value talent when the "war for talent" heats up again.

So, again not an excuse, but many of us in our 50's and 60's are looking at what is happening in corporate America and asking whether we really want to be part of all this.

Baby boomers can learn a lot from the younger generations. Lots. But, believe me, the absence of so many in their 50's and 60's is not good for business. Many of us would enjoy - even relish - roles where we could mentor and develop younger employees.

But, don't assume that we know how to network, or that we are very good at it. In my case, I am trying to do what I have long found to be quite unsavoury!

Nancy Range Anderson said...

You, Dave have made the most remarkable comments! I started a blog the other night on the very things that you mentioned such as the lack of respect and loss of culture of "valuing our employees". I too was in HR and saw the number crunching, the statistics, etc where people were not valued for their contributions but rather for the quota they filled. I rebelled about it then and was called an idealist. Now I see it from the perspective of the job seeker and it is discouraging.
Like you, I developed and nutured business relationships throughout my career. When I was displaced, my peers congratulated me on creating such a large network. Like you I never looked at it that way.
It is hard to turn that mind-set around now but by approaching and treating people as you always done, it is a benefit to you. I personally have found that the "giving back" part of networking has helped be with my business. If I see something that I think would help on of my contacts or that I think they might find interesting, I will forward it to them. It keeps my name out there and many times, these contacts have turned around and offered me some contracting work. We do have a lot to learn from the Gen X and Y group, but I agree with you---they can learn from us Boomers as well. Thank you so much for your comments.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Dave,

Companies need to know that when they treat job applicants poorly, the applicants remember it.

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...