Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Employee vs. Consultant

When I was working for a company there was one thing that bothered me. Why would a company spend tons of money to bring in an outside consultant to do something that an existing employee could do (and want to do)? It used to frustrate me to no end. So many times as employees we are expected to put out fires, do the needed and the necessary and rarely have time to learn, train and develop. Then, when an opportunity arises, it is passed along to the outsider.

Now, I am the consultant and believe me, I am enjoying being the subject matter expert. I love that a client calls me at any time and asks my opinion on how to handle a certain situation or solve a particular problem. It is so refreshing to be looked at as knowledgeable and capable. It is a whole new world but something that I, like so many other people, know I was capable of doing at my former place of work.

If you are employed and want to get noticed and given more responsibilities, I suggest doing the following:

1. Volunteer to research a new process or method that will impact productivity in your department.
2. Ask for a mentor who is a level or two above you and ask that mentor for a truthful opinion on your business image and skills. Listen, learn and make changes.
3. Learn. Don't say that you don't have time to take any training.  You need to grow and learn all there is about your position, new skills or methods to increase performance. Then you need to meet with your manager and ask to implement one or two of these.
4. Read up on your field and find out what's new, what's out and be able to speak knowledgably about these. This is so important.

What's curious about the current recession/unemployment crisis is that so many people who thought they were secure in their positions were blind-sided when they were released. Make yourself a commodity in your business by staying fresh. The worst thing that can happen is job loss.  The best thing that can happen is staying on top of your field and being known as an expert.

No comments:

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...