Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Another Resume Resource

Last night one of my friends came over to work with me on designing her resume.  She has a lot of experience in documentation but I didn't quite understand what that meant.  After much questioning and asking for examples, I got an idea of what she does. This morning I reviewed our notes, sat down to write her resume but forgot some of the detail.  I figured that I would turn to the Occupational Outlook Handbook for guidance in case I needed more descriptive words.  Just for fun (fun?) I entered her job title into Yahoo Search to see what came up and found this great, easy to read resource; EHow™ Money.  What a find!

Here's how it works.  In the Search area, enter your job title and the words "job description" (Accountant Job Description or Training Manager Job Description) and you'll get a wealth of descriptive information.  It's a great site to add to your resume writing tool collection (Occupational Outlook Handbook, various job search engines such as Indeed.com and Monster.com).  Why go crazy trying to figure out what to write?  By taking this information and tailoring it to include your specific accomplishments and measurements, you'll be well on your way to creating a specific, focused resume.  

No comments:

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...