Wednesday, May 30, 2012

On Starting Over- Earning My Wings


I am reprinting my stories or reinvention. Back in 2010 I wrote about the history of my company. It's a story of comfortably working for many years in the pharmaceutical industry to losing my job to owning Blackbird Learning Associates.

I am looking for more stories of employment transformation. Have you gone from the employed to the unemployed back to the employed? Are you somewhere in the middle? Everyone has a story, what's yours? I'd like to share your story on The Flap. Also, are there any job search tips that you can share?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Nancy
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackbird Fly January 22, 2010.

There is always someone in each job search class that asks about the unusual name of my company, Blackbird Learning Associates. "Where did you get that name?", or "Why did you name your company after a bird?" are the questions I often get.

I tell them the story and it goes like this...http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
When I lost my job of 21 years I was naturally very distressed, hurt and sad. As I drove home after packing up my boxes I asked my parent's (who are no longer here) to help me rediscover my direction. The radio was on in my car. As I spoke that thought out loud, the radio played the Beatles song, “Blackbird.” Now I have hummed along to that song for years but never really paid it much attention. That day, though, I listened."Take these broken wings and learn to fly. All your life, you have only waited for this moment to arise" are the words I held onto that day. It was then that I knew that if I ever opened a business, the word "Blackbird" would figure into it somehow.

Recently I decided that I shouldn't be so selfish and that I should share the Blackbird story with others. You see, I am not the only one who should spread my wings and fly. You have remarkable skills, you are resourceful and your talents are abundant. You too have only waited for this moment to arise. Go for it, soar, and know that you are a treasure. Someone will scoop you up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Being Let Go October 7, 2010

I’ve been reading some very discouraging stories on the internet including LinkedIn about the unemployment situation. So many people are expressing how they are faring, how they felt after losing their jobs and also about some of the very unsavory steps some companies take when releasing their employees. It got me thinking about my own job loss and the things people should plan to do if that bleak news is on the horizon. I thought I would share some thoughts with you.

As a former HR and Learning & Development professional with over 21 years of service with the company, my position was eliminated. I was brought to a room, asked what I did and once I responded, was told that my department would no longer offer that service. That was it. Like many of you, when I learned this news, I was shocked, humiliated, angry and very emotional. Our HR Director (who is a really great guy) went over the paperwork then and there but all I heard was "blah, blah, blah". I had to call him afterwards to verify what he said.

Because I worked for a large, recognized company that values its employees, I was able to make use of an in-house Outplacement Center. I was offered training, an office, a telephone extension and other amenities. I took advantage of these services and would urge that anyone do so (if their company offers this service - not all do). I was also lucky enough to save all of my non-confidential documents, programs and thank you emails. The toughest part was going back a week later, turning over my projects and packing up.

Flash forward two years later and now I teach the things that I learned in the outplacement training. I can empathize with what’s going on and offer these pieces of advice should you need them.

No comments:

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...