Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Who Moved My Cheese and the Job Search

Someone posted the video, Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spencer Johnson to a LinkedIn group as part of a discussion about handling change.  I remember reading the book years ago and relating it to all of the changes that occurred in my corporate job. 

I forgot how much I love the book and its fable about two mice and two little people who live in a maze next to their favorite food; cheese.  When the cheese begins to disappear, they all have different reactions.

Watching the YouTube video brought it all back and now, rather than relating it to the always changing workplace, I thought of how it aligned perfectly with the job search; especially for the older job seeker. I also saw it relating to the person who has lost his or her job and who struggles to accept it and move on. 

There are several messages that are written on the walls within the maze. They are:
  • Change Happens: They Keep Moving the Cheese.
  • Anticipate Change: Get Ready for the Cheese to Move
  •  Monitor Change: Smell the Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old
  • Adapt to Change Quickly: The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese
  • Change: Move With The Cheese
  • Enjoy Change! Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!
  • Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again: They Keep Moving The Cheese
Take a look at the video and think about what may be holding you back in your search for a new career. Then, adapt, change, enjoy and monitor!

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...