Saturday, April 12, 2014

Another LinkedIn Rant

I'm not a LinkedIn expert by any means.  I know enough to teach a two hour class on it though and I know enough to pass along a few tips on using it wisely to help you find a new career.   

This morning I checked my email messages and there were a few emails asking if we could connect on LinkedIn.  Of the four requests, only one person personalized his note. Guess who I connected with? Why would I accept an invitation to connect if I don't know why you are "reaching out" (I hate that term) to me? I deleted the three emails and ignored (LinkedIn's word) the three cookie cutter invitations that were also embedded in my LinkedIn messages. Here is an article I wrote on how to personally connect on LinkedIn.

I've also noticed that some profiles don't have photographs.  Why not? Why not ask someone to take a head shot of you using your living room wall as the background? Some people have posted "selfies"  and we've all noticed. If  you can't get someone to take your professional picture inside your house, perhaps someone will take your photo outside.  It doesn't matter really; just as long it is professional.  

That brings me to my third and final point.  If you do post a picture, save the one that you want to use for a dating site for just that.  Make sure that you're dressed and posed professionally. LinkedIn isn't the place to show your sultry side - it is a professional networking site.

If 94% of recruiters and companies are turning to LinkedIn to help them recruit it makes sense to give them what they want and need to help them make the best hiring decisions. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are a wise woman, Nancy. Very professional and you always know just what to say. I know I ignore people that can't post a photo. I want to see who I talk with.

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...