Monday, May 19, 2014

Vacation and Unplugging

My husband and I took off last week for a quick trip to New Orleans, Destin and Tampa Florida.  It was a last minute thing and we decided that after working on our jobs and rebuilding a house that was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy that it was time.

When I worked in a corporate environment vacation meant vacation.  It meant time away from the computer, no email checking (except for the Sunday night before returning to work), no phone calls to the office - nothing.  Recently, as a small business owner, vacation wasn't really a total get away because I'd be checking and returning emails and taking calls. I didn't want to be that person this time even though all those communications are my bread and butter. I left my temptations at home and turned off.  My electronic companions were my phone and a small tablet.  It was too difficult to respond to emails on those.  I also didn't answer my business phone.

 Our trip was great; the people we met were wonderful and the food (other than that one wrong decision to have a chicken cheese steak at a place I shouldn't have had a chicken cheese steak) was amazing. The one thing I noticed was that people everywhere were constantly looking at or using their smart phones.  It was disturbing to see people on the beach who were looking at their phones rather than the dolphins putting on a show right in front of them in real time. 

What about you? Do you leave your work behind when you go away?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so true Nancy that people just have to get away from everything and relax. It does irritate me that people I notice even on the hiking trails are texting away. What is the point of taking a hike if you aren't going to look at the beauty around you?

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Exactly - it was so odd to be in a beautiful setting and see so many people texting or whatever else they were doing on their phones.

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...