Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Networking Events

Tonight I am attending a professional networking group meeting. It is for professional women in my county and is limited to 50 guests. Networking is great however not all people are great networkers. I train about it and coach about it but honestly, it makes me uncomfortable. It reminds me of going to a party and not knowing anyone but the host. Depending on your personality, it can be intimidating too. So what am I doing to prepare? I intend to:

1. Practice my elevator speech. My elevator speech for tonight will be short (15 seconds or so). I intend to listen and question more than speak.
2. Don't make it all about me. Did you ever go to a party and run into the person who only talks about themselves, their families, their successes, their whatever? I don't EVER want to be that type.
4. Exchange cards when asked. I certainly won't shove my card into someone's hand unless asked.
5. Take notes when I get home. I intend to remember names, companies and interesting facts about the people I talk with and follow up with them later. If I see something that I think that they will like, I will forward it to them with a note.

What do you do to prepare for a networking event?


No comments:

Salary Negotiation Tips

  A retired teacher friend of mine is thinking about returning to the workforce but as an educational consultant. The company is flying her ...