Friday, June 14, 2013

Dunkin' Donuts Nightmare: A Lesson Learned

I saw an article this morning about a woman who went on a racist, profanity laced rant on a couple of workers in a Dunkin' Donuts in Florida.  She didn't get a receipt for her order the previous day so she returned video camera in hand to record the episode.  She proudly proclaimed that she would immediately post her outburst on Facebook. It is also on YouTube. What she didn't expect was that the tables turned and rather than supporting her, millions of people on social media now scorn her.

Supposedly the ranting woman (I'm not even going to name her) is a college grad who is now in law school.   I Googled her and guess what I found? I found a page full of unflattering articles about her now infamous rant.  Of course, this being a job search blog, you can imagine the first thing that went through my head…

What law firm would want to hire her after seeing that?

The lesson to be learned here has nothing to do with her because I honestly don't think that she is worth our time.  Other than her tirade of brainless, dense and embarrassing rantings, she is also an example of minding how you use social media.  It can come back to bite you in the butt.

PS: The two Dunkin’ Donuts co-workers are being recognized for their outstanding customer service.

5 comments:

Mary Koster said...

So very true.. It's something I always keep in mind.. if I wouldn't want an employer or my niece to see it, don't post it! :)

Judy Stone-Goldman said...

I saw that horrible video. I have a hard time believing she's in law school. I guess we should be grateful she made this video so future employers will be forewarned. When I was younger and job searching I never had to think about the on-line world. Glad I didn't have to make mistakes in that venue!

Stephanie Foley said...

I've not seen the video, but I am happy to hear that humanity and common sense prevail!

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thanks for commenting all! I appreciate your thoughts!

Beverly Monical said...

That girl will regret that video one day if she doesn't already. I have suggested to my son to becareful what kind of pictures he puts up because employees are using the internet these days to check on applicants. Thanks for sharing.

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...