Thursday, June 25, 2015

Story Telling



Today I went to a funeral for a former work friend. It was a sad, teary funeral but it celebrated the life of this remarkable man. There were two parts of the Mass that stayed with me and both involved stories. In the Homily, the priest told a story from his homeland. He related his story to the journey that a soul makes as it goes “home” to God. As I looked around the church, heads were nodding. People were listening.

The second story involved a series of stories told by my colleague’s brother. He had us laughing and crying as he related stories of mischief and fun, food and happy memories. At the end of his remarks, the church erupted into teary applause.

Why do I bring this all up? Other than to mourn the loss of a lovely man, I wanted to remind you of the importance of stories. Your past actions make up a series of stories and whether they are from work or everyday life, they open a door into your life.

As you prepare for an interview, think of real life stories and how they relate to the open job responsibilities. No one wants to hear what you “would do”.  No, they want to know what you “did do”.  Do that and you will have your  audience listening to your every  word.

Rest in Peace Pat Gleason.

No comments:

Please Visit a Dermatologist

Today I had surgery for a Stage 0 Melanoma. It was discovered about a month ago when I went to my dermatologist for my annual skin screening...