Monday, March 28, 2016

Stop Posting Your Street Address

I was doing some research this morning for an upcoming job search program. I went to the website for town where the program will be held to get feel for the audience and to see if the program was published. The website had a career section for job seekers (where they posted their resumes) and a listing of open positions. Nice, everyone wins.

Being the curious person I am, I looked at some of the many resumes on the site to see how they were formatted and was surprised to see that they all contained the full addresses of the job seekers. Not good! First of all, street addresses don’t need to be on resumes any more. Worse, and maybe I’m just paranoid, but why  put your address out there for the world to see? Anyone could easily go to other social media sites and if the security measures aren’t in place, see if you are on vacation, away from home or whatever. Why open the door to that?

If you are considering posting your resume on an open site, think twice about sharing your street address. Instead, share your LinkedIn address. You’re safer that way.

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...