Monday, October 4, 2010

Career Assessment and your Personality

Have you ever considered how your personality plays a big role in the career you select?  If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. For example, you are an analytical person who enjoys research and problem solving; you may not feel as comfortable in a sales environment. The same can be said for the reverse.

In my career assessment classes we talk about the variety of skills assessments that are available on the internet.  They range from those offered by the government, universities and even the Oprah Winfry electronic website. They are good (if you are really honest with yourself) tools to measure your skills and knowledge.  We also talk about the DiSC and Myers Briggs tools as indicators of personality type.  A good tool that measures your personality type is the Jung Typology Test.  It's free, too.  Check it out and assess your type and see what kinds of careers it suggests think about.

2 comments:

Kevin Forgard said...

Another useful model can be found in the book The Leadership Wheel by Clint Sidle
http://amzn.to/4orxxt

I just discovered your blog via LinkedIn and as a 40 year old soon-to-graduate, I am a little scared of the job market. I was so scarred that when my school suggested that I become a doctoral student last spring, I jumped at the chance. However, my wife and I simply cannot live on a stipend and her salary for the next 3-4 years, so its job hunting time. At least I can take my time while still getting paid and further educated.
I'll keep an eye on your blog to read your stories.

Kevin

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thanks so much for the link Kevin. I have a lot of articles and links to other resources on my blog and website - that's what I'm here for! If you have a question, please ask. Good luck!
Nancy

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...