Thursday, October 7, 2010

On Being Let Go


I’ve been reading some very discouraging stories on the internet including LinkedIn about the unemployment situation.  So many people are expressing how they are faring, how they felt after losing their jobs and also about some of the very unsavory steps some companies take when releasing their employees.  It got me thinking about my own job loss and the things people should plan to do if that bleak news is on the horizon. I thought I would share some thoughts with you.

As a former HR and Learning & Development professional with over 21 years of service with the company, my position was eliminated. I was brought to a room, asked what I did and once I responded, was told that my department would no longer offer that service. That was it.  Like many of you, when I learned this news, I was shocked, humiliated, angry and very emotional.  Our HR Director (who is a really great guy) went over the paperwork then and there but all I heard was "blah, blah, blah".  I had to call him afterwards to verify what he said.
Because I worked for a large, recognized company that values its employees, I was able to make use of an in-house Outplacement Center.  I was offered training, an office, a telephone extension and other amenities.   I took advantage of these services and would urge that anyone do so (if their company offers this service - not all do).  I was also lucky enough to save all of my non-confidential documents, programs and thank you emails. The toughest part was going back a week later, turning over my projects and packing up.
Flash forward two years later and now I teach the things that I learned in the outplacement training. I can empathize with what’s going on and offer these pieces of advice should you need them.
 Create a resume while your accomplishments are fresh in your head.  No, you are not too busy.  That’s what everyone says and I said it too.
Never burn your bridges. Never.
Try to get a hold of your performance appraisals because they will help with your resume development.  Grab your calendar too (all the entries will remind you of the good stuff you've done).
Make use of every network connection or opportunity that your company has (even if the wound is still so fresh and you are still fuming).
Realize that some of the people that you thought were your work friends will turn their backs on you and that can hurt just as much.
Hold your head up, be thankful for the opportunity for working at your old company and move on.
Please share your story.

3 comments:

John and Lynn Fox said...

In candor, I teared as I read this, for I know that I will revisit these emotions on 11.16.10 at roughly 12:15 pm. This is not the hardest thing I've gone through. But it ranks second. My goal is to give back via my blog and by encouraging others while building my brand until I find another meaningful stage.

Thanks for your blog, for sharing your story and for your efforts to give back.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thanks for responding John. I don't envy you your 11/16/10 date but you will get through it. You will find something you love and you are doing all the right things through your blog and building your brand. If you're on LinkedIn, I'm sure that you must be aware of all the tricks to get you noticed.
Keep us posted on how you are doing. Thanks again John.
Nancy

Unknown said...

You're both encouraging. Thank you! A

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...