Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Facebook and Handling Change

I had to laugh this morning when I saw the new changes to Facebook. It seems as if they are changing things on a regular basis lately. I complained on my status box as well because it’s annoying trying to figure out how to do certain things all over again. It made me think about how we handle change and how people handle things differently; just like my Kittie and the Cone post from the other day. Let’s take a quick look at the Seven Dynamics of Change, from Ken Blanchard again, only this time inserting Facebook as the change agent rather than the fancy cat neck wear. When first introduced to a change people are:
1. Awkward and ill at ease
a. How the he** am I supposed to figure out this?
b. Am I the only one who is feeling frustrated over this new layout?
2. Think first of what they must give up
a. Now everyone will see my updates.
b. There goes my privacy.
c. I’ll miss the old Facebook.
3. Feel alone although others are also going through the change too
a. 750 million people use Facebook. Am I the only one who is annoyed at this?
b. Am I the only person who can’t figure out how to get rid of these side boxes?
4. Can handle only so much
a. Enough already! Quit with the changes!
5. They are at different readiness levels for change
a. I love this!
b. I hate this!
c. Who cares?
6. Are concerned about resources
a. I don’t have time to figure this out.
b. I don’t have the energy to figure this out.
7. Will revert back to their old ways when the pressure is lessened.
a. In a heartbeat. Leave a good thing alone!

We're only human and we're all in this together!

No comments:

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...