Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Swordfish

We took our son to college yesterday. After weeks of shopping and preparing and packing (all done by me by the way), he was ready. We had an earthquake and a hurricane the week before move in but the school was ready to take my child and embrace him, even though I wasn’t ready to let him go.

Unlike his sister, our son is more reserved and apprehensive about meeting people. It takes him a while to warm up but once he gets to know someone he is gregarious and charming. Before he left yesterday we took a walk to a river by our house. There was so much that I wanted to tell him that had already been said before yet I wanted a few precious moments alone with him. He hadn’t said anything but I knew that he was apprehensive about leaving home. He’d miss his friends, girl friend and lifestyle. He was not sure about his choice of majors either. I just wanted to hold him again like I did when he was a child and let him know that everything would be fine.

I did say that he was not alone in his apprehension. Meeting new people in college can be as daunting as meeting new people anywhere. It’s another kind of networking. Every kid moving into a dormitory most likely feels that same way and is nervous and looking for someone to connect with. As far as meeting new people, the rules will never change. Get out there, get involved, and open yourself to new ideas and cultures. I read an article about college networking and while the location is different from the world of job search, the elements are the same. http://www.wetfeet.com/blog/2011/september/networking-in-college.

Now, about that swordfish. We have a 7 foot swordfish that hung in a spare room at my parent's house. The previous owners didn't want it and left it there for my parent's "enjoyment'. Today, my husband and I drove the fish over to the dorm. As my son and his roommate walked it into the dorm, all eyes were on them cheering, laughing and smiling. It was an ice-breaker, a novelty and a conversation starter. It's their opening to meet new people and you know....network.


No comments:

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...