Thursday, September 16, 2010

Networking and the Informal Elevator Speech

I think that personal networking is a learned skill that doesn’t discriminate between the extrovert and the introvert (although it might be a bit easier for those who are more of the “communicator” or right-brained types).  No matter what type you are, the successful networker makes use of certain tools and with practice, makes it look easy. What skills are needed?  A catchy elevator speech, good listening skills and the ability to give back are a few of the more critical skills. With practice (and I mean lots of practice) it gets easier.  Today we will look at the Elevator Speech.  In this blog we will dissect an informal networking discussion. This is the type of statement to make when a family member or friend asks you, “What’s New?” at a reunion, party, or other informal event.
 In future articles we’ll use the same example but in more formal situations.
The elevator speech has a couple of parts and job search experts may disagree on the order or components. A productive elevator speech contains your name, industry, your specialty, why you are the best and a call to action.  Some people add their name to the ending statement as well. Also, your elevator speech should also reflect the event you are attending and your audience. 
An informal Elevator Speech can be worded something like this, “As you may have heard, I am returning to the job market, specifically in writing and editing journals in the pharmaceutical industry. I have 10 years of experience and have even won several awards. Would you know anyone in the industry that I could call?”
It would be nice if you could state your case in one breath but with family or friends in an informal environment, it usually doesn’t work out that way. There will probably be breaks in this speech as your discussion partner asks questions.  It might look like this:
Friend: “Hey Jane, how have you been?”
You: “Hi Emily, I’ve been well.  As you may have heard, I am returning to the job market… “
Friend: “Yes, I heard that you were thinking about that.  It is so difficult these days to find a job though…”
You: “Tell me about it! After working for 10 years in the publishing industry, specifically on the pharmaceutical side, I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to get back in.  I thought that with my experience and editing awards, it wouldn’t be too difficult…”
Friend:  “So many people are struggling these days. I think everyone knows someone who has lost a job.”
You: “I hope it improves soon.  That’s why I am asking my friends and family if they know anyone in the publications or communications industries that I might network with. Do you have any contacts that I might call?
Friend: “Let me think about that for a bit. I can ask around.”
You: “That would be great… (And this is the hard part) how about we meet for coffee next week. I have a couple of business cards on me if you need my contact information. Emily, I really appreciate your help."

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...