Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Discouraging Statistics for the age 50+ Worker

I have been giving job search trainings for almost two years now.  Of the seven topics that I present, the most requested is Job Search for the Age 40+ Worker.  I have also noticed an increased number of people aged 50 and over attending any of the job search classes.  As seen in many of LinkedIn discussion groups, unemployment continues to be a  growing, emotional issue.  The stories that I have read are heartbreaking and so discouraging and many of these people are over the age of 40.  Their skill sets are remarkable and their willingness to get back to work is fierce.  They are also some of the most compassionate people that I have ever "met".

It is for these reasons that I wasn't surprised when I read the statistics in the recent Human Resources Executive Online newsletter.  The statistics correlate with my unscientific data.  What do you think? What suggestions do you have for the unemployed job seeker who is over the age of 50?

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...