Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Career Resources Are Out There

Last night I gave a class in one our public libraries on career assessment.  As usual it was a great group of people all eager to learn something new to apply to their job searches.    One of the things I noticed again (and I see it in every class) is that most people aren’t aware of the rich resources that are around them.  Now I spend much of my time looking for these resources so that I can pass them along; it’s my job but some people aren’t aware of what’s out there.  Here are some of the more obvious resources:
1  Free career assessments – look to the government sites such as O*Net or Oprah Winfrey's great tools.
3. Free training- look at your libraries, community colleges, adult schools
4. Networking and Professional groups
5. Job descriptions- look at the Occupational Handbook and job boards and compare the wording of these positions to your skill set.
6. Salary calculators
7. Low cost business cards such as those from VistaPrint
8. Volunteer opportunities (remember networking and skill set development)
9. How-To articles and resume samples on major job boards
10.LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook
There are so many more, what have you found that has been helpful in your job search?

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...