Monday, February 14, 2011

The "T" Cover Letter

When I first started writing Job Search for Moms, the "T" cover letter was a relatively new job search tool. I like the format because it is easy on the eyes and it matches the requirements in the job post to your particular skills and accomplishments. In a T-format cover letter, the first paragraph contains an introduction including the job in which you are interested, any networking information you may have and a branding statement tied into the organization’s business needs. The second paragraph contains the “T”. Rather than writing a qualifications summary paragraph or listing your skills in bullet points, you can create a "T" column that matches the job skills needed by the employer with your particular skills and experience.

I've included a sample below although the format here on Blogger doesn't allow me to insert the "T column.


Proper Salutation/Address Information Date
Dear Mr. /Ms. Last Name;
The open position for a Human Resources Assistant, listed on the (company) website calls for many of the abilities I have developed in my 10 years of Human Resources experience. My background indicates experience and successful implementation of a number of innovative recruiting processes with (company) including:

In the body of the cover letter, set up a "T" column. On the left side of the "T", write out several of the job requirements. On the right side of the "T", state your accomplishments as they relate to each of the listed job requirements.


There are other areas of my background including my educational background, solid social networking and employee referral abilities, on-boarding program design and organization skills that may also be of interest to you. I look forward to the opportunity of meeting with you personally to discuss how I might fit into your organization.
Sincerely,
Name
Phone number

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...