Monday, March 24, 2014

A Celebration for Many



This past weekend my sister and I traveled to Massachusetts to attend a bridal shower for my daughter. It was hosted by her future mother-in-law and was a delightful celebration for family and friends. It was a warm, beautiful day and springtime was on display both inside and outside of the house.

After an amazing lunch, we moved into the dining room for coffee, tea and the most beautiful celebratory cake that I have ever seen. I joined a small group of new friends and someone asked me about my profession. When I said I was a job search trainer and coach, the conversation turned to unemployment and underemployment and how difficult it is for “older” job seeker. What were the odds that of this small group of women chatting around the dining room table, 75% of us had been released from our former companies later on in our careers? Luckily we have all moved on and found other meaningful work somewhere else or in another field. 

I am proud of the resilience of the Baby Boomer generation and how a job loss at an older age didn’t break any of us.  It only made us stronger.  That was another reason for a celebration!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting!! It has been tough on the baby boomers as we get older.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

I agree Larry. The Boomers are so resilient though and are finding new ways to reinvent themselves. That or take on two or three jobs.

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...