Sunday, June 12, 2011

I'm Moving On

Yesterday I had lunch with two wonderful women friends.  We used to work together but our jobs were eliminated due to our department's reorganization several years ago. Since then we share our lives through LinkedIn, Facebook and lunch time meetings. We met for Thai food, something that I had never tried before because of my reputation for being "bland Nan". More on that in a minute.

We visited for a while and swapped stories of our kids and pets and jobs and the recent heat. We mentioned the friendships that we have maintained with our former co-workers and lamented the ones that "got away". We finally got around to talking about our past company and the feelings we had upon being let go. All of us had a similar conclusion.  We found that like so many other things in life, we moved on and life continued in the manner that was decided so long ago.  All three of us discovered that we were meant for something else; a different direction that may have been difficult to navigate but is just as exciting.  This morning snippets of our conversation were still in my mind; I guess that's why I can't get this Rascal Flatts song, I'm Moving On, out of my head.

This brings me back to the Thai food. It was delicious.  It was the fear of change and moving out of my comfort zone that had me turn up my nose for all these years. 

Life will move on after a job loss and change is so difficult.  You were meant for something else.  What is it?

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...