Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Assumptions Made by the The Older Job Seeker

I recently read a report by the MetLife Mature Market Institute® that said there are several assumptions that the older job seeker has about the job search. They call them the Significant Seven, or “Seven Mistakes That Keep Aging Boomers Unemployed”.

1. I will just do what I was doing. Many Boomers assume that they can continue doing what they did before leaving their last position. Skills and technology have changed since then. Older job seekers need to visualize themselves doing something different or using their skills in a new way.
2. My experience speaks for itself. Lots of employers would be lucky to have me. If you can’t link your skills to the employers needs then you are discounted before the interview. Older workers need to be able to explain to the hiring company how their experience can help solve problems in the future and help make that company a success.
3. I don’t have time for the touch-feely stuff about what work means to me. Older workers need to think about the value that they can bring to the workplace and reflect upon their strengths, values and passions.
4. I know! I’ll become a consultant. Many don’t take into consideration the actual skills needed to be a consultant as well as the physical demands and psychological fit.
5. Of course I’m good with computers. Re-evaluate your technical skills to see if they are relevant today. If not, don’t include them on your resume and get some training in the current technologies. See what employers are looking for today.
6. I’ll use a recruiter or some career coaching to get another job. A fresh perspective is good but unfortunately, many times the phone will stop ringing after a few weeks.
7. I’ve always been successful, so why should things be different now? Thinking that the past is the best predictor of the future isn’t going to work today. Technology, wages, and skill sets have all changed.

Next time, we’ll look at the “Five Keys to Success for Older Job Seekers” from the same report.

1 comment:

Nancy Range Anderson said...

I got carried away with the other topics that I forgot to add the remaining article. I'll do that tomorrow.

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...