Thursday, July 28, 2011

Resume and Interviewing Don'ts

In my past life as an HR representative I was given the opportunity to review hundreds of resumes. I was also able to interview many candidates whose resumes showed that they had the right stuff. In my current position as job search trainer, resume writer and coach, I've again been given the wonderful opportunity to work with many people who have varying job search needs.

Today, I was thinking about all the resumes I've seen, the questions I've heard and the people I've interviewed. I've put together this list of Resume and Interviewing Don'ts with hopes that I can help you. Some are written tongue in cheek but these are some of the things I have seen and heard. If you have any to share, please add them.

1. Don't wear shorts and flip flops to your interview. While you're at it, don't chew gum either.
2. Don't tell me that you have no accomplishments in your 20 year career. You do - you just have to go somewhere quiet and think about them.
3. Don't have a cute email address. Get another one for your business purposes and use that one instead of butterflylady@whatever.com or barfly@whatever.com. Your name or first initial and last name is always a good choice.
4. Don't be lethargic during your interview. Save the nap for when you get home and after you write your thank you notes.
5. Don't get caught up in the minutia of picky wording in your resume. It will drive you crazy. Stop typing and walk away for a while. While you're at it, don't include things that aren't relevant to the position for which you are applying.
6. Don't make your resume writer beg you for detail - be prepared or at least have an idea of your skill set, strengths and accomplishments.
7. Don't let your pre-interview nerves eat at you. If you review the job listing, company profile and have practiced answering questions on how well your past behavior and accomplishments have worked; you're nervousness will turn into adrenaline and you'll feel more confident.
8. Don't post anything that you wouldn't want your mother to see on any social media outlets.
9. Don't shy away from social media. It is your job search friend (resource).
10. When the interviewer asks, “Any questions?” don’t say “No, I think you covered it.” Have at least two or three questions at the ready. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions throughout the interview.

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...