Friday, July 8, 2011

A Look at the Unemployment Numbers

When my position was eliminated in June of 2008, I was concerned because the unemployment number was 5.6%. Over the years that number has steadily grown and today we saw the highest number in 2011 at 9.2%. While this number isn’t the highest we have reached, (10.2% in October 2009), the numbers are concerning.
Today I went to the National Conference of State Legislatures to review the numbers over the past three years. So much has happened over the past couple of years and I don’t think people consider the overall history of the numbers. Here’s what I came up with:

National Unemployment 2008 - 2011
Highest Unemployment Rate: 10.2% in October 2009.
Lowest Unemployment Rate: 4.8% in February, 2008.
Highest Unemployment Rate in 2011: 9.2% in June, 2011.

State Unemployment January – April, 2011
Puerto Rico: 16.9% in March.
Nevada: 14.2% in January.
California: 12.4 in January.
Florida: 11.9% in January
Rhode Island: 11.3% in January
Michigan: 10.7% in January
South Carolina: 10.5% in January
Kentucky: 10.4% in January, February
Mississippi: 10.4% in January
Oregon: 10.4% in January

It doesn’t seem to be improving, what do you think the solution is?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a discouraging scenario, my friend. Personally, I believe that only with a return to ethics and a change from a sales centric mindset to a relational one will we improve. Since many in our business culture continue to pursue the same avenues which directly led to the meltdown, and since our economy -- a result of sales -- is really not improving, perhaps there is a correlation -- in this thinker's opinion.

Take care,

John

Nancy Range Anderson said...

John I was having trouble responding to your comments - so sorry I took so long!
I agree with you - unfortunately sales, the bottom line and catering to the needs of the stockholders have replaced the human side of hiring. I do hope it changes soon but I am not holding my breath.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

The problem with the numbers is that now, there are many of us unemployed NOT being counted as our unemployment compensation is depleted and therefore we are not being counted.
In my immediate family alone, there are 3 of us who are, in fact, without work or any promising leads and no longer receiving benefits.
The numbers are wrong!
That's just my two cents worth. Which is close to all I have left!

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Hi Anonymous - you're so right. I'll have to dig up the "real" number. Everyone you talk to knows someone (or several) people in the same situation.
I want to say good luck but that sounds trite. I mean it though. Here is an article I just read this morning on Yahoohttp://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/down-not-voices-long-term-unemployed-125453267.html.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Nancy. I am hopeful, despite the urge not to be. I have written and published a book while I have been without work, but that, in the literary world, is like saying "I am a word" while standing in a library. It is very frustrating. And of course, we must all keep a positive attitude, a respectable public image, a brave face, and a true smile, just in case that next person you meet could offer an opportunity.
I am all about being positive while I secretly kill the self-esteem one resume at a time.
Thanks for listening.
Kimberly J. Coleman

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Kimberly I had to laugh at your book comment. I can relate to that. Still, YOU wrote a book and I personally know about the blood, sweat and tears that go into that procees. That is a huge accomplishment and you are amazing for doing that. I hope it's on your resume. Mine is.
If you have any questions or want to talk more, please let me know.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Many times individuals have the skills that are needed but don't know how to present them. This becomes a tricky issue in that it appears to the interviewer as a lack of confidence. Our culture is so geared toward a "confident" stance that this can be a big hurdle for someone who has been unemployed for a longer period. Presentation is a huge part of the equation. It's more than simply having certifications.

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...