Tuesday, November 2, 2010

If You Are Displaced, Make Use of What is Offered...

I just wrapped up a month long series of resume preparation, interviewing and networking classes for a company in my home state that is eliminating the positions of 140 employees. They contacted me in September and we began training in October. The classes were scheduled for twice a week and each session was four hours long.  We had a total of ten classes. Out of 140 displaced employees, guess how many made use of the job search training? Ten. Wow.

I've had discussions with the directors of various company outplacement centers about why displaced employees don't make use of these free job search resources.  I think we can narrow it down to a couple of things; anger about being let go, apathy about the situation and embarrassment.

The economy is terrible and since I have been offering job search training for almost two years now, I have seen a tremendous increase in the number of participants attending classes in just the past 10 months or so.  No matter what the media tells us, it is not getting better and if you are not prepared with the tricks, tips, and techniques to help you stand apart from the rest of the thousands of applicants for that one job, then you'll fall into a rut. An added benefit is the networking and support that you will receive from your classmates.

If you lose your position with your company, bite the bullet and take advantage of everything they offer you.  Attend classes, use any free resume preparation services if provided, and graciously take the books they offer you.  It is uncomfortable (I know firsthand) but it will make you a winner in the end.

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...