Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What's the Purpose Behind Weird Interview Questions?

I don't know what else to call them - weird, odd, strange, distorted interview questions.  What I also don't know is why interviewers even need to ask them. I understand that there are certain interviewing techniques and I research, teach and write about them all of the time. It's those weird questions that I just don't get.  What does, "How many pages does a newspaper have?" got to do with an open position unless you are applying for a job with the newspaper? How about, "What kind of car or bird or animal are you?" or "When you pay the toll on the parkway, what lane do you immediately head towards?" (I kind of get this one.)

I personally see no purpose for these questioning techniques especially for the average open positions. Questions should be focused on the position and the skills required for getting the job done.  There should be a dialog to see if the applicant can do the job, fit into the organization and if he or she wants the job. An interviewee usually prepares for the interview by:
a. Researching the company and matching his or her skills and experience to the needs of the organization.
b. Preparing a list of questions to ask the interviewer based again upon the needs of the organization or for general information.
c. Generating strengths, weaknesses and even the "Tell me about yourself " responses.

If an interviewer is trying to throw someone off their game, I can see how a question such as "How many pages in a newspaper" could do it.  If you are a recruiter or hiring manager, what’s the reasoning behind these types of questions?   If we weren't in the economic or unemployment straits we are in it would be comical for the interviewee to take a pass on this job and move on to the next more professional interview. 

What types of weird questions have been asked? Why do you think you were asked these questions?


2 comments:

Pam Stanton said...

I was asked once, many years ago, if I intended to change my last name when I got married. (It was asked by a woman who was a fierce feminist and had strong feelings on this topic.) I've also been asked nearly all the "illegal" questions (are you married, do you have/plan to have children, etc.) I'd like your advice on how to handle those-- because if you call out the interviewer, it can get uncomfortable.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thanks Pam. I too have been asked about my marital status, children, even age! You get the prize with the question about changing your name though! I've found that many interviewers have not been trained on the correct way to interview and many are not aware of inappropriate questions.
Some people who are interviewing these days are too afraid that they will blow their chances of obtaining the job if they call out the interviewer or the question.

I suggest the following response for any of the illegal questions: "If you are asking me if my children/age/marital status/religion (whatever the topic) will interfere with my ability to effectively complete the tasks associated with this position, then no.” Then immediately switch topic to relate your skills or an example of your skills match the open job position.

It’s uncomfortable but if you realize that these types of questions might pop up, it is best to be prepared. Also, when you say, “if you are asking me…” you are letting the interviewer know that you are very aware of the type of question he or she just asked you.

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...