Monday, December 13, 2010

Networking During the Holidays


In every Networking class I bring up the story of a holiday cookie exchange that my neighbors gave two years ago (when Blackbird Learning Associates was new; I didn't even have an LLC yet). It was there that I used a newly learned elevator speech when my neighbors asked me what I was doing. They didn't know that I had left J&J and were surprised to learn that I had ventured out on my own.  At the end of the party I had three contacts to call at the start of the New Year. Well, that was interesting.  Networking really does work. 
Flash forward two years.  The neighbors graciously opened their home again yesterday for another cookie exchange.  As I was preparing my six dozen cookies, I wondered what this year’s party would bring.  Two years and about twenty different renditions of my elevator speech have passed.  Should I do it again?  What would I say?

Well, the cookie exchange was again a wonderful, warm event. This time though, the elevator speech was much easier to say. It wasn’t frightening or uncomfortable or formal or contrived or anything.  I think that had to do with practice but also for getting a feel for the environment and the crowd.  I didn’t dwell on it.  When people asked, I happily explained but if not, I didn’t bring it up. I found that I’d rather talk about our families or pets or the fox in the neighborhood.

Don’t forget about networking over the holidays but don’t let it rule your life either.  Here are a couple of thoughts:
1.     Be Prepared.  Think about what you’ll say if people ask.  Be short and sweet and then turn the conversation to the person you’re conversing with.  Find out what’s new with them.
2.     Be gracious with everyone. That's obvious but not everyone follows the "Golden Rule.'
3.     Have fun.


Tomorrow is another day and another opportunity to shine.  Don’t be caught off guard but don’t feel as if you have to push yourself constantly. Be prepared but enjoy the eggnog and your friends and family.

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...