Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Message

As today is Easter Sunday, a quote from Jesus seems appropriate.  “Forgive them Father for they know not what they do.” It is this sentence that entered my mind as I read today’s paper. After first reading about the vicious attack on a transgender woman in a Maryland McDonalds, I was equally appalled by the ignorant remarks of various readers in the ‘Comments” section. Where did the cruelty come from? This woman was beaten and spit upon by teenage girls and then entire thing was captured on the video phone of the restaurant manager who did absolutely nothing to help. If not for the assistance of an older woman, the victim could have been more seriously injured.  I then read about the charges against the roommate of Tyler Clementi, the Rutgers University Freshman, who after his roommate used a secret webcam to spy on him and another man in an intimate moment, killed himself by jumping from the George Washington Bridge.  The roommate, Dharun Raviin used Twitter to invite people to watch.  His smarmy comments have made my stomach drop.  Rather than face his hateful actions, he has tried to delete his social media messages in an effort to erase the evidence. He is a coward.
Both these stories sicken me and make me wonder about the direction, ethics, mindset, upbringing, etc of many people in all corners of our country.  When, better yet why did so many become so bitter and biting?
“Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do.” How can they not know what they do?

2 comments:

Doug said...

Nancy, I also saw the video. My first reaction was not of what they could be possibly fighting over, but WHY a male manager did not step in and help this person period!
I'm pretty sure if it was just one female this wouldn't of happened. With two, they fuel each others aggression. Not knowing the reason, I still feel for that girl because no human deserves this. At times I find it hard to "forgive"

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Me too Doug. It seems that these types of things are happening all over the place and other people just push, push, push them on. It's pretty scary! At least we are doing our part in doing what is right.
Happy Easter to you!

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...