Thursday, April 27, 2017

Take Some Time for Self-Development



Years ago when I started out in the Learning & Development field I worked for the Chubb Group of Insurance Companies. In a staff meeting one day, our Director implemented a new policy. She said that for an hour a day, we were required to read an L&D related article.  If it had value, we were to forward the article to the rest of the team with our comments.

When I first heard this I groaned (internally of course). What a waste of time. I was 20-something, just getting started and only wanted to go, do and create. I was so wrong. I came to look forward to the hour after lunch when I would settle in with a newspaper or a trade publication and read about a new method for training assessment, implementation or evaluation. Sharing this information with my peers is when the learning began and we implemented many new methods or techniques due to those articles and discussions. Needless to say, I learned so much.

I continued this practice throughout my career, especially when the staff for the L&D department was lean or whittled down to just me. I rallied for membership to the Association for Talent Development, formerly American Society for Training & Development, subscriptions to Training magazine and even ordered the entire set of ASTD Infoline booklets; a set of amazing training modules for every possible L&D situation. I still have them.

These days I continue the process by searching the internet daily looking for newer ideas, templates, suggestions, trainings or anything that will help me develop my skills as a job search coach and resume writer.

So what’s the “What’s In It for Me”? It’s this. If you are a young millennial or member of the newer, Generation Z, slow down for a few minute and take some time for self-development. Read, look for a mentor, attend training and most importantly, share information about your craft or profession with your peers. If you are older, be open to continually learning (it may help with your job security). If you are a job seeker, continually look for the latest and greatest in your field and be ready to speak about it.

A couple hours a week isn’t much time when you consider that this is a small step in your self-development.  Researching, reading, processing and sharing are a few of the tools that continue to help people get ahead.

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...