Sunday, February 16, 2014

#10factsaboutme and the Job Interview

I was looking to see if something I put on my Facebook business page showed up on Twitter and I got distracted by the trending information. Along with Frank Kaminsky’s new baby, a Canadian hockey player named Drew Doughty and NASCAR there was something called #10factsaboutme. There among the random facts about people (“I sweat when I meet new people” or “I’m in love with someone who doesn’t know that I exist” or “I have three dogs and a pet mouse”) I thought of something….. What are 10 positive facts that you could share on an interview?

Think about it.  What are your strengths?  Are you a good communicator, a motivational speaker, an impressive problem solver, an outstanding mathematician, a grammar whiz, a great friend, a creative problem solver, a remarkable team player, an outstanding leader or skillful organizer? Why? What specific examples do you have to support these?

Just listing 10 facts about yourself will remind you of your notable strengths and then, coming up with examples of why these are your strengths will help you on your next interview. These facts are real and  make a lot more sense than, “I hate people”. By the way, never say, "I hate people" in an interview.  Someone once asked me if that was an OK  thing to say in an interview.  She wasn't kidding.

No comments:

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...