Monday, February 17, 2014

An Interview Coaching Conversation

This blog entry is a little different.  It is a summary of the electronic conversations that took place over the course of the past month between a client and me.  This client came to me after completing her first interview with the company’s HR department.

Client:  I have a panel interview coming up and was wondering if you have any suggestions. I was also wondering if you have any information on negotiating a salary. Any direction is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Me: Congratulations! Here is an article I have on panel interviewing that I wrote it in 2011. The steps are the same today.  Also as I go look for any negotiation articles that I may have written, take a look at your job in Glassdoor.com and research the salary that you'll be comfortable with. I'll be back. 
Me: No I guess I never wrote anything about salary negotiation. We have talked about it though. Women have a harder time with it than men for sure. You need to look up your worth and use the middle to higher end of that value as a starting point. That's the number that you are comfortable with. Of course, you need to take other factors into consideration such as benefits, vacation, possible increases after 6 months, etc. Here is a pretty good article on the subject.Let me know how it goes!
Me: Here is a sample thank you note. If you don't get the job (not like that will happen) I have a thank you note for that too. Remember to send each person on the panel a thank you note and make each note original to that person. thank you note 2.docx
Client: Thank you so much Nancy! About to start reading now.

A few hours later…
Client: I am soooo bad at negotiating. That is a great article. Now I just need to find something to say to get there...
Me: Just say, when they give you a number that you don't like, "Is this number negotiable?" or "Are you flexible with this figure?" If they say no, then you're stuck and you'll need to ask about possible increase after a six - nine month period. If they say yes, go with your higher number and work your way down to a compromising point.
Client: Thanks Nancy. Is Glass Door accurate with salaries?
Me: Yes - the Occupational Outlook handbook also has salaries but they are national. Glassdoor and Salary.com are good places to look.

A few days later… 
Client: Hi Nancy - not sure that you will find it as interesting as I did. I haven't seen a company be so detailed and specific about interviews. Check out their career page and how they prep candidates with their guide. Maybe it’s something that could add to your presentations. 
Me: I will, thank you. I do talk in classes about the importance of looking at the career or "our employees" pages.
Client: I have never prepared for an interview this much before. I am claiming this job as mine it's perfect.
Me: Yay you!!!!! You'll be great!

A few days after the interview…. 
Client: No news is good news, right? It's killing me! If it’s not meant to be then it won't but I really felt good about it.
Me: Did they say when they'd call you?
Client: I thought she said by today or early next week
Me: Oh OK. Then wait a week from today. Oh the torture!
Client: Oh ok! I am gonna stay positive... Thanks

A week later… 
Client: I have a second interview on Monday and will meet with two people separately now I need to look for 2nd interview questions on your site...
Me: Congrats! I think they may be more focused STAR questions. Who is the interview with?
Client: My manager and the director of diversity
Me: Nice - you'll do fine. Maybe some of the work that you'll be involved with is collaborating with the diversity department.
Me: You did a lot of diversity training at you former company.  You'll just go in for another chat again. I'm sure you read their website, About Us Tab/Our Employees and saw good stuff about diversity that you can add to your interview. I'm so excited for you!  Maybe they'll talk Super Bowl!
Client: Yes, I am hoping so! Thanks for always believing in me!
Me: I think this job has your name on it!
Client: Me too but afraid to get too excited!
Me: I know.... but after Monday it's smooth sailing!

Several days later…. 
Client: After being stuck in the lousy weather, I think it was a great interview. My would-be manager told me that she enjoyed the interview it was wonderful and I think the second director liked me as well. They said they will be making a decision quickly so I think I should hear by this week. I will keep you posted.
Me: That's great! It also shows them how brave and interested you are to go in for an interview in this nasty weather.

A few hours later…
Client: Just a quick update! I got a call asking me if there was anything that would sway my decision not to go with the company and if I had any questions. They then talked salary. I went higher and she said she doesn't think that would be a problem. She just needs to go talk to the managers about my next steps. I think I got it but I don't want to be premature!
Me: That is excellent! I am SO happy for you (and them for getting you)!!
Client: Is it safe to assume the job is mine yet?
Me: I'd say so but will have to wait until you have the offer letter in your hands.

A few days later….
Client: I got the job!!!!!! Have to do background and drug but I got it!
Me: Yeah!!!!! I knew you would!! Congratulations!!!

No comments:

Protests and the Job Search

I'm a job search coach and for years I have told my college age clients to delete any incriminating pictures or commentary that might ma...