Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How Do You Get Over the Job Search Blahs?

The other day one of my blogging friends posted a note about writer's block and "hitting the wall" as far as coming up with content.  I responded with some suggestions and let her know that I was pretty sure that it was only temporary thing. Her other friends offered similar encouragement and who knows, all that talk and support may lead to new, exciting blog content.

Well guess what? I hit that same wall this morning. All my ideas for job search tips or techniques have disappeared today. I didn't write any content ideas down (as I had suggested to my friend) and my mental gas tank was on "E" for empty.  I don't know why I couldn't write anything today.  It could be the weather, the rain, the snow, arguing with my son last night, the fact that the Christmas tree was still up, the laundry, wanting a vacation... I'm sure that you get the idea. What I was left with today was a feeling of discouragement and the "blahs". 

I did realize something though.  As a job seeker, a job search trainer or a blogger, we can't be up and positive every day.  It's normal to feel discouraged at times or totally frustrated that nothing seems to fall into place. It's OK.  Sometimes we need to give ourselves a day off. Read a book, take a walk, listen to music, dance, play basketball, meditate or do something that will make you feel better.  I took down the Christmas tree.  Tomorrow is another day and another opportunity to get back on track. 

What do you do to beat back the blahs?

No comments:

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...