Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Professional Services Group - PSG

I've noticed quite a change over the past two years in the job search process and job seekers are becoming quite savvy.  Yesterday I gave a "Job Search for the Age 40+ Worker" class for a local Professional Services Group (PSG).  There must have been 50 people there and they were all on top of the newest strategies and tools to help them with their job search. How’d they do that, I wondered?  The answer was right in front of me.  They make it their business to stay on top of the job search process.

PSG groups offer many services for the job seeker.  You'll find trainings, career fairs, social events, websites, member profiles and so much more. What I liked best about this group was their terminology and support.  Right before they started the meeting they went through the list of those who had "landed", or found a job.  Whether or not the person was in attendance, the room erupted into applause.  It was so warm, genuine and almost as if I had walked into someone's living room.

If I were a local employer, I'd attend one of the PSG Monday meetings. The expertise is extraordinary.  I watched people making an effort to get involved in committees so that they could sharpen their existing skills and learn new ones. I watched people who I knew never did any public speaking in their former jobs, take a microphone and announce a project or make a request.  I saw train-the-trainer huddles going on as people with hopes of landing, passed on their expertise to the newer members.  It was like a business being run on a Monday morning; only the local office was a church basement. 

Bravo to the PSG and other networking groups that sharpen the skill sets of the unemployed and give them a sense of community and purpose.  For more information on Professional Service Groups, please contact your local unemployment office.  I met with the Central Jersey PSG Chapter; please see what your state offers. 

4 comments:

Laine D. said...

What an inspiring piece! & great advice for potential employers - If you need qualified help from people willing to work hard - check out your local PSG.

Thanks for Sharing Nancy.

Laine D
http://www.ThoughtsfromABroad.net

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thank you Laine. From your lips to God's ear! I know the PSG groups are trying hard to get employer's to notice them and I think it is starting to work. Thank you again!

Laurie Nieliwocki said...

Nancy,
I would personally like to thank you for all of the valuable information you shared with the PSG on Monday. It is folks like you with the insight and motivation to keep us growing and learning at every opportunity presented through the PSG. I love the direct approach to the age issues and the wealth of information you shared. Thank you again.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Laurie,
Thank you so much for the lovely words. I really enjoyed it as well. PSG is a great group! After the session the other day, I convinced some of my friends to visit the PSG offices in their counties!
Nancy

A Yoga Drishti and Your Job Search

 If you've been following this blog long enough, you'll know that I practice yoga. I also write how certain yoga techniques can be u...