Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Prayers for the People of Japan

I'm off topic this afternoon.  I want to send my prayers and thoughts to the people of Japan.  They are living an unspeakable horror and it seems to be getting worse by the hour. I was born in Japan.  My Dad was in the service and stationed there in the 1950's.  He and my Mom lived there for several years and my sister and I were both born in Osaka.  My parents often reminisced about the lovely people of Japan and their kindness, manners and warm friendships were remembered long after my parents returned to the US.  They kept in touch with letters, calls and the most beautiful Christmas cards I had ever seen. My parent's considered returning but never again had the opportunity.  I know that they both regretted it.

It is hard to imagine an earthquake followed by a wall of water traveling over five miles.  It is hard to imagine the threat of nuclear meltdown just miles from your home.  Limited food, water and fears of a reoccurrence are deadly threats.  Yet, I read of the calm, the manners and the gentleness of a people who when faced by an unthinkable natural disaster are strong and courageous.  Now I know exactly what my parent's spoke of with such respect.

The picture in the post is of my first doll, a gift from the Chief of Police from Osaka.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW is all I can say to this blog.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thanks John, I appreciate your comment. It is such a tragedy and it seems to be getting worse as each day passes.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful Nancy...and such a beautiful people. Who cannot be touched by what they are going through? It still boggles my mind, even though I see the images every day. I join you in your prayers for these courageous people. - Stephanie F.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thanks Stephanie. Today, two days after writing this entry it is even worse. The people over there certainly are showing us grace under fire.

Anonymous said...

It is never "off topic" to show kindness.

Salary Negotiation Tips

  A retired teacher friend of mine is thinking about returning to the workforce but as an educational consultant. The company is flying her ...