Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Becoming Socially Connected For Your Job Search

If you are reading this, chances are you are somewhat technically savvy and I'm just preaching to the choir.  If you know someone who is not socially connected, perhaps you can point them to this article or at least print out it for them.

I've been giving a lot of training sessions for the age 40+ job seeker lately and the folks in these classes have to be some of my favorite people.  Still, when I mention social media, many of the aged 50 and over in the crowd freeze, roll their eyes or poke the person sitting next to them.  I can understand as I was in their shoes just a few years ago.  Other than opening a LinkedIn account using my name and position, I let it sit there and well, do nothing.  It wasn't until I was released from my former position that I learned the value of diving head-on into social media. 

Now, most of you reading this don't know me.  If you did, you'll know that several years ago I wasn’t interested in the internet. I didn’t really use it much at work except as a research tool and at home, I didn’t bother with it.  Well, times have changed and I have become a full fledged fan, especially when it comes to helping people find jobs.

After using the worn out phrase, "Google yourself at least once a week", at a Job Search for the Age 40+ Seeker the other night, some of the people started snickering.  Of course a few years ago, if I had said that, I might have blushed. It hit me then that for whatever reason; they too were not connecting (no pun intended) with the value of this remarkable technology.  Unfortunately, they will be left behind unless they catch up.

The bottom line is this.  Research shows that in 2011, many companies will move away from recruiters and job boards to list open positions and find prospective employees through LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.  If you don't have a strong presence in these groups then your chances of finding employment will start to decline.  Where should you start?  I would suggest you start by creating a LinkedIn profile.  Here are a couple of ideas:
1.   Follow the directions on the LinkedIn profile page to create a profile. Take a tutorial if you're uncomfortable just jumping in or read an article about creating a strong on-line presence.   About.com has some good, easy to follow articles.
2.  After creating a profile, look for personal contacts and let them know that you want to connect.  In your invitation, explain how you know each other and modify the standard LinkedIn greeting to reflect how you know one another. 
3.  Join groups representing your interests and experience.  You might also want to join some of the job search groups and perhaps a group representing another area of interest.  The other day I joined a Sales Training Group.  I don't know anything about sales training but thought I might learn something if I joined.  Finally, join a group where you can learn how to use LinkedIn properly.  I suggest the group called, Linked Strategies.  It is excellent.

All it takes is for you to make the first move and get started.  You’ll be amazed at the information and people at your finger tips and you will be creating a social presence.   There will be more to learn but this is a good place to start.

6 comments:

Doug said...

I was surprised the amount of job listings on twitter. I was just doing a search on twitter for my city & state. This could be a plus for someone wanting to get an edge on others that may be looking but are not connected. Good post!

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thanks Doug. After I wrote this blog I looked at Twitter jobs and saw so many listing. I started going through them and had to stop because there were so many and it was getting too late. What a great resource! I appreciate your comment.

Laine D said...

Great information Nancy!

I was one of the lucky ones, at least in some respects. I started writing an inspirational blog for women facing a change in their lives and had discovered Social Media as a way of promoting it, primarily using Linked In to network.

I was relatively comfortable in my position, not earning a lot but with somewhat flexible hours so I could be around for my daughters (very important for a single parent). Then suddenly after 6 years of being flexible about my hours around my employers needs my hours were cut in half, although I was told they would increase again with impending tax season (4 month ahead). However, we couldn't live on the reduced money and to an extent I had lost faith in my employer.

Not only was I able to leverage my contacts (including you!) but my zeal and 'evangelism' in the use of Social Media as a marketing tool had me showing everyone how it worked. After several months one of those who I had inspired on the subject asked me how they could go about hiring someone to manage their Social Media. I think I managed to pause for a couple of seconds before I said I might be available for the right offer!

While I wouldn't suggest reinventing yourself in Social Media necessarily, having the skill set and building a network is extremely valuable on your resume and as a means of introduction for those jobs both advertised not advertised.

Laine D.
"Aspire to Inspire"
http://www.ThoughtsfromABroad.net

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Thank you Laine!I am so pleased that the use of social media and your networking connections made it work so well for you. You are a pro and I learn from you!
More people need to step out of the box and learn to use social media. It certainly will get them noticed but it will make them more marketable too. Thanks again Laine!

Pam Stanton, The Project Whisperer said...

Great post. This is not only a good idea-- it's becoming expected in the job search world that candidates will have an internet presence. Especially for those of us who are more "mature/experienced", having no social media presence is like waving a red flag to recruiters that you have not kept up with the times.

Thanks for making this topic accessible and digestible for everyone.

Nancy Range Anderson said...

Pam thank you so much! I love what you said, "like waving a red flag" that is exactly it!

Salary Negotiation Tips

  A retired teacher friend of mine is thinking about returning to the workforce but as an educational consultant. The company is flying her ...