Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Career Planning Is Like Joining a Gym

In January I decided that enough was enough and that it was time to join the local gym.  As an incentive, the gym offered a free session with one of their personal trainers.  I went for it and wound up buying two months of training sessions with a wonderful, inspiring trainer.  My sessions ended yesterday but I will continue to do the exercises and routines that my trainer guided me through; difficult as they were/are.

What does going to the gym have to do with your job search (other than make you feel and look younger and give you more energy)? I can think of several things.

1.    Get out. Losing a job or going through all the mind numbing effort of finding a new one is exhausting. Take a break and try to look at things in a different light.

2.    Evaluate. Before starting my training I was evaluated for any medical or physical issues.  My body size and weight were measured and I set up a goal.  With a  job search, evaluation is an important first step and should include your career path, needs, strengths, weaknesses and wants.  You will also need to establish a goal so that you have something to work towards.

3.     Get into a routine. At the gym I started with a warm up on the tread mill or elliptical machines.  Then I went over to the weights and the resistance machines. Establish a routine with your job search.  Set aside some time to network, make your calls, and review the internet for opportunities. 

4.     Step out of your comfort zone. Ouch - this is such a difficult step. If in the gym, you continued to use the lighter weights and didn't feel any discomfort, what would your results be? Sure you might be a bit firmer in places but if you really want to make a difference you have to graduate to heavier weights or more repetitions.  The same hold true with the job search.  It is easier to apply for jobs on line and then keep your fingers crossed for a bite.  It is harder to network or call on some of your contacts.  Networking can result in 80- 85% more jobs so that's something to think about.

5.     Learn. Sometimes I felt uncoordinated and clumsy when using some of the equipment. At times, my body just didn't want to cooperate. With a job search, it helps to attend training or review the latest job search techniques via social media.  Check out your local library for free career planning sessions or join a networking group.  As far as social media goes, this can relate to #4 above. You need to learn it even if it means stepping out of your comfort zone.

Like exercise, finding a job takes time, patience and a lot of practice. It can be painful at first but rewarding in the long run.

No comments:

Salary Negotiation Tips

  A retired teacher friend of mine is thinking about returning to the workforce but as an educational consultant. The company is flying her ...